a castle in a magical forrest a castle in a magical forrest

This really isn't terrible at all, it reminds me a lot of Runescape's old days :p

I suppose once you upgrade, you can make the quality a lot better, but compositionally this is pretty good

TheJawns responds:

Wow, the old runescape music... There's some nostalgia right there...
Anyway, thanks for the review!

T-Logic - Step in the Ring T-Logic - Step in the Ring

sounds like indie game material :p

TaintedLogic responds:

That was the goal, my friend! :D Thanks for the review. ;)

Troubled Sands Troubled Sands

I feel that this could use a lot more balancing, since everything feels too in-your-face and there's little subtlety at the moment :P The main tune does feel very desertish, though.

The main problem, besides the volume of everything, would be that somewhat obnoxious reed thing - it's too repetitive. It began to get grating after a while.

//but this has a lot of potential so nj

LunacyEcho responds:

=> too in-your-face =>

Solution: turn the volume down! :D But yeah, I agree with the balancing thing.

=> obnoxious reed thing =>

Well, we were too lazy to write more than two melodies. :P

Thanks for the review! Glad you think it has potential!

L'amour de la Nostalgie L'amour de la Nostalgie

I feel like the chords could have used a little more arpeggiation and syncopation at some points, give it a little more feeling ;D

Nevertheless, this is incredibly good. Do you mind if I use parts of it in a song?

Prexis responds:

Sure.

Composition 03 Composition 03

wow, this is actually pretty good. is there any way I could get a midi or something?

Prexis responds:

I don't know how to do that.

Death of a Hero Death of a Hero

Wow, this is a really great song. I'm so jealous of how talented you are with this kind of stuff Q_Q I still remember [attempting] to compete with one of your songs a while back and being utterly blown away lmao

Anyways, on the topic of the song itself, I really have no complaints about the structure, nor the melody. However, in terms of clarity, I think a few sections are a bit muddled (as in nothing stands out enough); this mostly has to do with the parts where everything is playing at once. The drums are really well done, and the quieter sections incredibly executed, but the part near the beginning where the chime's mixed with the hit thingies sounds a bit muted to me. It would help a lot if the instruments/tracks were a little more separated from each other, instead of fighting for dominance in some parts.

Again, the song is really, really good, so I'm just commenting what I know :P For the most part, the biggest issue I have is that a few sections feel a bit muted; otherwise I'd give this a perfect score.

bassfiddlejones responds:

Thank you for the thorough review! Part of the muddled-ness is probably my skill level at mixing, but I also didn't want the glockenspiel to be too overpowering in the mix. It's meant to be a supplemental instrument in this context, to help accent melodies and whatnot. I appreciate you taking the time to review, thank you!

Alert Alert

i think i would like to hear a version with better samples :)

here you can try http://www.boyinaband.com/2009/10/boyinaband-sample-pack-37-free-trance-samples/ for some trance kicks

and http://www.boyinaband.com/2011/04/free-sample-pack-dave-reverses/ for some buildup thingies

hf:D

SoTJake responds:

Thanks, some of these kicks are really great :D
And I think I will experiment also a little bit with those transitions^^

Pixel Knight Pixel Knight

I think the main melody could be a little more subdued, it's a tad loud right now to the point of distraction; work on le mastering

I love the middle part :) might wanna tone down the effects a bit tho

sounding good though, i can see where pixel knight comes from

tl;dr tone it down, work on mastering but overall tis pretty decent

offtopic -- praise the sun - that's a reference to dark souls isn't it :P

Daru925 responds:

and yes, it is; I played a lot of Darksouls shortly before this project ;)
Maybe this is the "kawai" version? :)

Hour Eight Hour Eight

not bad, not bad

with a bit of experience, this could be pretty very decent

sounds like my early stuff except a lot better, and hell i got scouted

rjclock responds:

Hey Malifex, thanks for that review. It means a lot to me to have your feedback. I will defiantly put in my time to improving. Hopefully I will see you review my future tracks!

The Door - White-washed The Door - White-washed

the fact that you made this for your dad and the fact that you spent more than 20 hours on it makes me really want to write a review

but blueoceans has said everything i think about this song, albeit in a more eloquent way

therefore i'll just stick with keep it up :D

TaintedLogic responds: